Aggregate Deal Value for Q1’2021 Breaches the Record $300B Mark
- Catapulted by the unprecedented rebound in deal making, global tech M&A activity registered its highest aggregate deal value of $303.0B with 871 deals announced in Q1’2021
- Soaring aggregate deal values continued to be propelled by a meteoric rise in $1B+ transactions (84), as the quarter witnessed a ~65% increase in mega deals that accounted for more than 90% of total deal value
- The sustained rebound in tech M&A deal activity was further fueled by the emergence of a disruptive category of buyers, Special Purpose Acquisition Companies (SPACs), a hybrid (IPO + M&A) exit alternative that witnessed almost as much investment ($~136.4B) as their legacy (PE & Strategic) counterparts with 51 deals
- Thoma Bravo Advantage announced its acquisition of Ironsource, an Israel-based mobile application distribution software company, for $11.1B; the largest tech SPAC deal to date
- As the distress levels in the leveraged loan market continue to subside, following a spike last year, financial buyers are making the most from receding risk and uncertainty levels by acquiring tech targets at a pace that puts them on track to match record deal making witnessed in 2020
Global Quarterly TMT M&A Activity: Q2’18 – Q1’21
In our Q1 2021 edition of the TMT M&A Newsletter, we cover global TMT M&A activity, notable M&A transactions, key industry trends/drivers, as well as buyer activity/appetite. To read the full report, download the PDF below.
Global TMT M&A Newsletter Q1 2021
We are happy to answer your questions and discuss the insights we have gathered as one of the most prolific M&A advisers.